Towersey Memorial Hall
Towersey War Memorial Hall was built in 1925. A board inside the hall records the names of fourteen Towersey men who gave their lives in the 1914-1918 World War. Two of these men have their graves in St. Catherine’s churchyard.
In 1965 the hall which was a simple rectangular wooden structure, heated by a solid fuel stove at the centre of the north wall. Where the present kitchen is there was a single cold water tap and the toilets were bucket toilets. The whole building was now in a state of disrepair. After a meeting regarding the hall fund raising started for immediate repairs and for modernisation of the building.
It was decided a one-day festival would be held to involve everyone within the village. The festival took place on the August Bank Holiday Monday. (Please see the history of the Festival for more details.)
After the festival the Memorial Hall was restored, extended and modernized. Flushing toilets were installed, since Towersey had been provided with drains and sewerage in 1965. The Memorial Hall became a registered charity with the parish council as Custodian Trustees in 1973. The general management of the hall was passed to an annually elected committee. Some years ago the hall was again been extensively refurbished, the kitchen was provided with a new cooker and the electrical system redesigned and replaced.
In 2012 another major project was completed. The kitchen and lobby/toilet wings were demolished, major structural repairs were made and the wings were rebuilt with much improved kitchen and toilet facilities. The exterior was also repainted in a light grey colour.